Thursday, January 10, 2013

Deep thoughts, with a schmeer


So, we've been reading "Bagels from Benny,"  a really lovely story from the PJ Library.  It's about how a boy inadvertently helps a stranger in need when he tries to thank G-d for helping his Grandpa bake the best bagels in the city. (It's got a nice moral, even for all y'all secular humanists out there.  And bagels.)

Anyway, as Paul was washing his hands tonight (meticulously moving the soap bottle to where he could reach it, taking a pump of soap, then replacing the bottle on the higher ledge), he turned to me and asked,

"Why did G-d make the Earth?"

I don't know, but that's a really good question.

"I think I know.  I think she needed People, and people need food."

I think that's a great answer, Paul.






(The pronoun was totally unprompted, but made me especially happy.)

No comments: