Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Paul Andrew - Spinner of Yarns

Paul and I were in the bathroom tonight, and I was cutting his toenails. I'd pretend to cut off his pinkie toe, only to have Paul pretend that his leg was cut off, and so on until his face was cut off. We laughed together at our shared joke, and then got down to the business at hand, er, foot.

(For brevity's sake, I eliminated all the times I repeated what I thought Paul said, and Paul replied by repeating back what I said he said.)

Mommy: Now, hold still so I don't cut you by accident.

Paul: I like you to cut me by accident.

M: No, you wouldn't. It would hurt, and it would feel better by tomorrow, but it would still hurt and you would feel sad and I would feel sad that you were sad.

P: Oh. (thinks a moment) I got hit with a hammer.

M: You got hit with a hammer?

P: Yeah, Pauly and Joss got hit with a golden hammer.


M: Wow, that sounds like it must have hurt.


P: It did, it did hurt only a little bit, but it's OK.


M: What happened after you and Joss got hit with the golden hammer?


P: Pauly and Joss and Mommy and Daddy got hit with the golden hammer and turned into fire.


M: We all turned into fire?!? What did we do when we were fire?


P: We lived in the fireplace.


M: Were we happy living in the fireplace?


P: Yeah, we were happy. And then when the fire was done, we turned back into children.


M: So, Pauly and Joss and Mommy and Daddy got hit with a golden hammer that turned us into fire, and we lived in the fireplace until we turned back into children? How did we turn back into children?


P: The fire turned us back into children.


M: And what did we do once we were turned back into children?


P: We got out of the fireplace. Can I have a band-aid?


No comments: